Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Teachers

It's been a while since I posted something about public schools, and first off I need to clarify something right away-
What I mean by public schools- and while i'm wrong I will probably continue to write this mistake so just in case- is schools where teachers get tenure, cannot be fired easily, budgets are divided into odd sections, and altogether committees have too much power.

Today I will be discussing teachers unions, and tenure. Tenure was first created for universities. It was invented because it's very easy for teachers at colleges to get fired, and every year they had to go through an exhausting re hiring process. Tenure existed to allow teachers who had proven their worth to stay without stressing.  These teachers could still be fired.  Tenure in public schools means that once a teacher has stayed in the system long enough, they become totally infire-able.  Which is absurd and impractical.  You should NEVER make someone indestructible because if history has taught us anything, it's that security makes people lazy. Necessity is the mother of invention, and paychecks are the creators of good workers.  I must admit, if I was a teacher who achieved tenure, i'd stop teaching too! I love teaching people, but honestly I think i'd download error filled tests, and tell the kids to read chapter whatever the hell.  Not my job anymore, i'm pretty much retired.

Teachers unions are wonderful. I love anything that keeps teachers safe. I owe everything i've learned to my teachers, and have seen many wonderful teachers pink-slipped. Too many. The problem is, it's flawed and no one wants to admit it.  The second you criticize it, you "hate the teachers", "don't care about the future generation", or "are an ass". The last one is mostly only implied, but you get the picture.  It's because I love teachers, and strive to become one someday that I want the union repaired.  Teachers are gods, but we can't treat them like gods, because if the greeks taught us anything, it's that no one- not even gods- are perfect.  We need to make it easier to fire bad teachers. In New York, they pay teachers who they don't want anywhere near children to sit in a room away from them.  We pay them, with taxes- well, not me yet- to sit on their ass.  It's not like we can make them teach though, we're talking teachers who are hazardous to children. Teachers who smack kids with bibles, and think to and too are the same. (Heads up, they aren't.)  WHICH IS ABSURD!

Many people have tried to penetrate public education, but have encountered the same issue.  Teachers.  teachers who don't know anything about computers or programming, and would rather our children have less technology experience than the world requires, than look foolish.  Kit after kit has been given to schools, easy kits that teach you how to use LEDs and write in C, all ignored for standard light bulbs, paper clips, and batteries. I have witnessed kids get burned by short circuits, and stand there saying "ow! Why are they hurting me?"to be told by a teacher "that's a short". When asked "what's that, they get "it's what that is. The metal is making a circle". So of course my poor classmates make the paper clip in a square. These kids haven't gotten the experience with electronics I had, and are not being given the chance to learn.  This is first grade stuff, too.  How are these people going to function in an increasingly electronic world? Not well.

Well, this got sort of off topic, but I hope my main message got across. Teachers, you are rock stars, just not when you're untouchable and thinking with mob mentality.

1 comment: